The Green Gown Awards UK & Ireland 2018 is open for stage 1 applicants with a closing date of 8 June. They are open to any tertiary education establishment – including all post-16 educational institutions such as colleges, universities and learning and skills institutions. Specific categories are also aimed at student applications and third party applications (such as catering suppliers, waste companies, transport providers, accommodation providers, architects etc. working or partnering with post-16 educational institutions).
The Awards have become established as the most prestigious recognition of environmental best practice within the further and higher education sectors. The Awards provide the sector with benchmarks for excellence and are respected by Government, funding councils, senior management, academics and students. Working on sustainability projects in your institution is common practice these days but how do you inspire and motivate your team, management and students to do more? Applying for a Green Gown Award not only motivates those involved but it inspires others in the sector to do more and opens the doors to new opportunities.
This category recognises social, social media and sustainable enterprise as key ingredients of contemporary education to ensure a supply of education leavers who can rise to the 21st century’s economic, environmental and social challenges.
Enterprise skills such as creativity, innovation, resilience, opportunity recognition and self-determination are crucial elements, as are the entrepreneurial skills for new business generation. These may arise from activities within the curriculum, be part of extra curricula initiatives or be a product of the Living Lab approach, such as linkages of research output with enterprise that transform and benefit society.
Award winning work can be with students, graduates, post-graduate researchers, academics and the business community to build enterprise skills and capability across any aspect of the institutions mission.
It must be evidenced that the initiative enhances the student’s enterprise skills as well as resulting in beneficial social and environmental impacts. It must be evidenced that alumni impact benefits society.
Initiatives can be existing students or alumni (up to a maximum of 3 years from leaving the institution) and can be individuals or collectives.
This category is an institutional award.
Other categories of interest:
BENEFITTING SOCIETY www.greengownawards.org/categories-and-criteria-2018#Benefitting%20Society
We wish to update you on what is new this year and encourage you to apply with one (or several) of your outstanding sustainability projects. You’ve put in all the hard work so why not reward you and your team’s efforts. We have also listened to your feedback and simplified the stage 2/finalist application process, saving you valuable time. Applying for a Green Gown Award this year could not be easier. Entries are free and below and attached is a snapshot of what’s new.
- 12 NEW AND REVISED CATEGORIES – making it more relevant to you.
- 1 SIMPLIFIED APPLICATION FORM – we have eliminated the need to complete a separate case study and marketing form at stage 2. Saving you time.
- RECOGNISING THOSE WITH LIMITED BUDGETS – small institutions are now measured on annual turnover of £50 million or below.
- AND REMEMBER THE TWO-YEAR RULE – submissions from 2016 (and earlier) – if you can provide evidence of further, significant improvement since the last application and this improvement is clearly documented in the application form, then you can re-submit your entry. Remember to address the judges’ feedback.
- Start YOUR Green Gown Award 2018 entry today.
- Circulate to other colleagues, individuals and teams who may be interested in applying and deserve the recognition it can bring.
- All information including FAQs, tips and entry forms can be found on the website.
- For inspiration, visit the showcase of case studies and videos from past winners, highly commended and finalists freely available on the Sustainability Exchange.
- Got any questions? Then please get in touch. We are here to help.
STAGE 1 CLOSES IN JUST OVER 2 WEEKS – FRIDAY 8 JUNE.
Submitted on 29/05/2018