“Having worked at biotech start ups on other science parks, the SBC does offer something quite different in the way it supports small companies to plan their business strategy and the opportunity to meet a wide investor base. The flexible solutions of lab/office and access to shared facilities also keeps the costs low and allows you to invest in people rather than costly equipment”.
Dr Amrik Basran, CSO, Avacta Lifesciences
The site is located close to Junction 7 of the A1 (M) between the motorway and the Stevenage to London rail line.
With a unique focus on open innovation, Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst was created to bring academia, biotech and pharma companies together to drive advances in healthcare research moreeffectively. This vision was embraced and jointly funded (£38Mn) by BIS, GSK, Wellcome Trust and Innovate UK (formerly TSB).
The Bioscience Catalyst opened in 2012 and is co-located with GlaxoSmithKline’s UK R&D facility and provides both Incubator and Accelerator spaces, totalling c.5,500 sq m of laboratory, office and networking space. In late 2014 the Cell Therapy Catapult announced it had chosen to deliver a cutting edge Cell Therapy Manufacturing Centre within the Bioscience Catalyst campus. This £55mn investment will provide a facility for Bioscience businesses to manufacture late stage trial and commercial advanced therapeutic medicinal products.
This new ‘incubator plus’ model, characterized by co-location with large Pharma and access to an unrivalled range of expertise and technical services, is focused on high-quality, IP-based tenants.
Businesses on the site:
- Big data/analytics
Life Science workspace type:
Main workspace types include:
- The Incubator Building – Ideally suited to start-up biotech companies, this 4,750 sq m building is split between office space(40 per cent) and laboratories (60 per cent). Includes hot desks andvirtual office facilities.
- The Accelerator Building Providing four, 100 sq m of working space for up to 150 people, the building is split between laboratories (60 per cent) and office space (40 per cent).
- Community Lab – flexible workspace for new ventures, on-site tenants as well as off-site companies to access. It has a range of basic equipment that can be accessed within the Community zone as well as more sophisticated equipment that can be rented by the hour.
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Centre – facilities for businesses seeking to manufacture products at the later trial stages and for commercialisation. Space will be flexible with users renting appropriate space and facilities on licence to meet their needs.
With long-term plans to expand the campus by five fold from the first phase to the third phase, Phase 2 of the SBC will provide space for current tenants as they grow as well as space for new tenants.
It is expected the 25 acre Campus will ultimately accommodate 1,500 employees.
- The HUB – Conference and Meetings facilities
- Access to GSK lecture theatre
- Shared technical facilities
- Communal area with access to chemistry services and equipment
- Access to electronic journals
- Fitness suite
- Access to GSK Restaurant /Café/Nucleus
- Free shuttle bus from station to site
The University of Cambridge has located a number of translational drug discovery projects to its SBC laboratories
The University College London has located translational research projects and spin-outs
MRC Technology, a technology transfer organisation
The BIA, Johnson & Johnson Innovation Centre and Lilly have partnering desks at SBC.
Conferences and Meetings
Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst offers a full and varied conference and events service and has a range of rooms superbly equipped to suit your requirements.
We offer a contemporary setting combined with first-class facilities and service. Our friendly and experienced events team will support you from your initial enquiry right through to the smooth running of your meeting or event.
Our conference and meeting rooms are available for hire by the hour, half day or full day to offer flexibility and excellent value. Information on individual rooms is detailed opposite.
For further information or to book a meeting room please contact us on:
Tel: 01438 906906
Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst (SBC), a leading location for development and commercialisation of cutting-edge therapeutics, is pleased to announce that Professor Jackie Hunter is to take the role of Chair in September 2020. Jackie is currently a Board Director...
Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst announces Hugo Villanueva as Innovation and Business Development Director
Stevenage Bioscience Catalyst (SBC), a leading location for development and commercialisation of cutting-edge therapeutics, is pleased to announce that Dr Hugo Villanueva is to join as Innovation and Business Development Director in May 2020. Hugo joins us from...
The UK and the NHS are providing the right environment and infrastructure to allow innovative cell and gene therapies to reach patients. International companies recognise the appeal of the UK cell and gene therapy ecosystem and are sponsoring the majority of the UK...
KaNDy Therapeutics Announces Positive Phase 2b Data in Post-Menopausal Women with its Lead Non-Hormonal Product NT-814
~Phase 2b dose range finding study showed rapid and highly significant reductions in the frequency of hot flashes (primary endpoint) for the full 12-week treatment period~ ~Reduction in hot flashes was associated with statistically significant improvements in quality...
Freeline, a biotechnology company focused on developing curative gene therapies for chronic systemic diseases, today announces Syncona Ltd (Syncona) has made an $80.0 million (£61.1 million) commitment in a Series C financing and has funded the first tranche of...
Interested in joining UKSPA?
Gain exclusive access to members only resources, research papers, statistics and data – as well as discounted or even free entry to the conferences and events we hold through the year.