Considered to be one of the UK’s leading campus’ to support early-stage bioscience enterprise, the Babraham Research Campus is home to the Babraham Institute and over 60 bioscience companies – a community of over 2,000 people. The Babraham Research Campus has the ambitious vision of being one of the best places in the world to start and scale-up a life-science enterprise. Evidence shows that this distinct colocation of research and innovation on Campus results in the creation of new products, therapeutics, jobs and growth, as well as facilitating more reliable company scale-up, which in turn maximises the impact of UK bioscience.
The aim of the Campus is to support UK bioscience through academic research, but also with facilities and capabilities for early-stage and growing commercial organisations. The Campus provides laboratory and office space, networking and collaboration opportunities, together with access to outstanding scientific facilities in an ideal geographical location at the core of the Cambridge cluster.
The campus is managed and developed by Babraham Bioscience Technologies Ltd (BBT) on behalf of the BBT shareholders, BBSRC and the Babraham Institute.
Offices and Laboratories
Situated on an attractive 430-acre parkland estate, the Babraham Research Campus blends modern laboratory facilities with historic buildings in a spacious, beautifully landscaped setting.
Our buildings provide approximately 300,000 square feet of state-of-the-art facilities, services and expertise available on flexible terms to meet the demands of start-up and more established businesses.
Start up space
Designed to support the early stage needs of new life-science ventures by providing easy-access laboratory and office space in units from approximately 600 sq ft on short flexible lease terms.
- Meditrina: 20,000 sq ft of laboratory and office accommodation, divided into 20 units of circa 1,000 sq ft each and let as individual or multiple units.
- Maia: Small laboratory and office units from circa 570 sq ft.
- Moneta: Units of circa 600 sq ft available as individual or multiple units.
- Minerva: 20,000 sq ft providing ideal grow-on space, designed to provide highly flexible chemistry and molecular biology laboratory and office space.
- Building 580: 10,000 sq ft of scientific and technical services facilities, offering core science services to Babraham Institute and the campus.
Scale Up space
Consisting of bespoke R&D laboratory and office space, our scale-up buildings include:
- The Jonas Webb Building: A 16,000 sq ft research building designed to provide highly flexible chemistry and molecular biology laboratory and office space.
- The Eddeva Building: A 20,000 sq ft mix of laboratory and office accommodation.
- The Bennet Building: A 20,000 sq ft follow-on building providing molecular biology laboratory and office areas around central core facilities. The Bennet Building is also home to Signatures café.
- Kadans Science Partner Building : A 49,500 sq ft laboratory and office building offering high quality bio- and chemistry laboratory facilities.
- Glenn Berge and Dorothy Hodgkin Buildings: In 2017, we launched an exciting partnership with Biomed Realty. Our collaboration has resulted in 100,000 sq ft of newly constructed, fully fitted, flexible lab and office space across two buildings – ideal scale-up research space for growing life science ventures.
The Accelerate@Babraham initiative is designed to support ambitious early stage life science ventures within our active campus community. Our aim is to help create new jobs, technology and therapies and to maximise the impact of the Cambridge Life Science Cluster.
Annually, via a competitive selection process, up to five early stage life sciences enterprises are selected to take part in a 5-month bio-entrepreneurial programme. Established companies on the Babraham Research Campus (and within the wider ecosystem) provide mentors and advisors to these start-ups, as well as giving access to short-term open access laboratory and office space.
Conferencing & Events
The Cambridge Building conference centre combines cutting edge design with the latest technology to provide first class conferencing and meeting spaces. Ideally positioned within easy reach of central Cambridge, the M11 and A11, the conference facilities and meeting rooms offer excellent accessibility and flexibility. We enjoy good public transport links and access to cycleway routes. Supported by a dedicated events team we have evaluated and updated our meeting rooms and catering offers with the new Covid-19 guidance to keep you and your delegates as safe as possible.
The Babraham Research Campus’ vision is to be one of the best places in the world for discovery bioscience research and innovation; a leading sustainable ecosystem to start, nurture, scale and grow bioscience business. Already one of the UK’s leading locations to...
Five months, five companies: Life-changing ideas, game-changing support Accelerate@Babraham, the bio-entrepreneurial incubator initiative founded and developed by the Babraham Research Campus - supported by key industry and investor organisations - opens...
Babraham Bioscience Technologies Ltd (BBT), the organisation which oversees the development and day-to-day management of the Babraham Research Campus is delighted to confirm Jo Parfrey as the new BBT Board Chair. Jo has been a non-executive director on the BBT...
Interested in joining UKSPA?
Gain exclusive access to members only resources, research papers, statistics and data – as well as discounted or even free entry to the conferences and events we hold through the year.