The University of Leeds has a strong background in commercialisation and an unrelenting focus on collaboration, we have a proven track record of helping the business sector in catalysing growth and productivity.
It provides easy access to our world-leading academic research experts and facilities with particular focus on the health, data, environment and engineering sectors.
Nexus brings together a vibrant community of innovators, supported by state-of-the-art facilities and a dedicated team who work proactively with businesses to identify and create effective research partnerships that deliver commercial impact.
Alongside purpose built office, lab and collaboration space for start-ups, SMEs and corporate teams, Nexus offers a year round programme of events, seminars and workshops designed to provide expert advice, knowledge transfer and networking opportunities.
We are committed to ensuring the Leeds City Region continues to be an outstanding location for businesses to start-up and grow by offering seamless access to our groundbreaking research expertise. Through this, Nexus helps industry deliver economic and societal impact; both regionally and globally.
- The building’s 6,684m2 is spread over six floors. The ground and first floors are mainly triple-height spaces, focused on communication and collaboration and the hub of Nexus, whilst the second to fifth floors will be rentable office and lab space.
- A Physical and virtual environment purpose-built and designed to drive collaboration, encourage idea generation and underpin problem solving.
- A vibrant innovation ecosystem connecting business, academia and partners via a year round programme of events and activities to deliver beneficial ‘cultivated collaborations’.
- An active programme of incubation for up to 60 high growth technology led business.
- The ground floor will house: exhibition space; an 80-cover café; a business lounge; a 120-seat lecture theatre; four seminar spaces (each seating 70, with sliding partitions to create two, three or four spaces); and open/semi-private space.
- The first floor will have further extensive open/semi-private collaboration spaces and 12 meeting rooms. It will house the teams from Nexus, Research and Innovation services and other University business facing professional service teams.
- The second floor will have 12 lab spaces each with write-up space, eight initially fitted out at category 2 and four as generic labs that can be used by businesses for mechanical and electrical/electronic research and development. The second floor also has office space, and the remaining floors are 100% office space. There are some 60 office spaces, ranging from two-person spaces upwards.
With experts predicting a 25-30% drop in economic output and British tech firms posting their worst performance since the financial crash of 2008, it’s easy to see why the future might appear particularly gloomy. There are however reasons for optimism. Recessions...
It’s now twelve months since we opened the doors at Nexus, and the community we have built here is something we’re immensely proud of. To mark the occasion, and as we look forward the start of our second year, I’m delighted to share with you some of the successes and...
Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak visited Nexus recently to sign the new West Yorkshire Devolution Deal with council leaders from across the region. The innovation hub was chosen for the signing of the historic deal, which will see West Yorkshire have a directly...
Maths, artificial intelligence, robotics and fluid dynamics were on the agenda when Universities Minister Chris Skidmore visited the University. In the region as part of a fact-finding visit, the Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation,...
Immersive technologies become the new reality at Leeds Virtual reality (VR) is becoming the new normal at the University of Leeds, as staff and students working in engineering, arts, humanities, the social sciences and health research embrace the technology. The...
Interested in joining UKSPA?
Gain exclusive access to members only resources, research papers, statistics and data – as well as discounted or even free entry to the conferences and events we hold through the year.