The United Kingdom Science Park Association
The mission of UKSPA is to be the authoritative body on the planning, development and the creation of Science Parks and other innovation locations that are facilitating the development and management of innovative, high growth, knowledge-based organisations.
Find out more about UKSPA membership benefits, activities and initiatives
Download the information sheets below for further information on the Association:
- About UKSPA - Sharing Good Practice
- About UKSPA - Recognising Quality and Excellence
- About UKSPA - UKSPA Awards: Celebrating Success
- About UKSPA - Membership Benefits: Website
- About UKSPA - Leadership Development
- About UKSPA - International Matters
A Science Park is a business support and technology transfer initiative that:
- encourages and supports the start up and incubation of innovation-led, high-growth, knowledge-based businesses.
- provides an environment where larger and international businesses can develop specific and close interactions with a particular centre of knowledge creation for their mutual benefit.
- has formal and operational links with centres of knowledge creation such as universities, higher education institutes and research organisations.
The History of UKSPA
Founded in 1984 by the managers of the eight Parks that then existed, UKSPA has gone from strength to strength. In the last thirty years the number of Science Parks has grown significantly (from two in 1982 to around 105 in 2014). There is still a strong regional, and local focus to their establishment. What has continued to happen over the years is that many more UK Universities and centres of excellence in research have recognised the unstoppable trend, and inherent value of Science Park development and have created parks with associated management structures to help drive and technology up the value chain by supporting tenant companies across a wide range of activities.
The Growth of UKSPA
Over the course of the last thirty years there has been continual growth in membership. In 2014 - the 30th Anniversary of the Association - over 100 locations were in membership delivering facilities and support to over 4000 companies.