Sci-Tech Daresbury Stakeholders
Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
Halton Borough Council
Sci-Tech Daresbury Overview
Our strategy has 5 distinctive components
- Driving excellence in science and technology
- Business growth through innovation
- Powering productivity through partnerships
- Attracting and developing the very best talent
- Developing a world-class science campus
Why come to Sci-Tech Daresbury?
- Faster growth – Sci-Tech Daresbury companies have seen sales grow at 30%/year over the past 5 years
- More investment – Daresbury companies raised over £80m to date,
- Greater collaboration - Nearly 60% of businesses collaborated with each other and nearly 80% with STFC & UK universities (delivering a total value of over £20m).
- Greater innovation - Sci-Tech Daresbury companies have developed over 500 new products and services in the last 4 years.
- Access to world-class technology and support from concept to finished product –from STFC and its strategic partners (eg universities, IBM, Unilever, BAe Systems) as well as the 100+ high-tech companies
- Open door to the right resources – membership of a 4000-strong network including technology companies, universities and the business support community
- Business fast track to the UK and Europe – great location with easy access to the motorway network, main-line rail stations and two international airports.
Growing Business at the Heart of Science
The Campus, built around STFC’s science facilities, was launched in September 2006, with a £65m investment from the Regional Development Agency to build The Innovation Centre, Vanguard House and the Cockcroft Institute – a UK centre for accelerator science. In 2016, there is further investment in two new grow-on facilities, Techspace One and Two.
The campus has benefited from nearly £200m of government investment into the Hartree Centre focused on developing technologies in high performance computing, big data analytics & cognitive computing. In June 2015, IBM and the government announced a £313m joint-investment into the Hartree Centre to boost big-data R&D in the UK. This includes access to IBM’s latest data-centric and cognitive computing technologies, including the world-class ‘Watson’ cognitive computing platform
The Innovation Centre
The Innovation Centre is a 2,230 sq m facility providing quality office, workshop and laboratory space for businesses typically with 1-15 employees. There are a variety of units ranging from 13 to over 139 sq m as well as access to fixed and hot desks. The Innovation Centre has a spacious atrium and conference suite ideal for events and seminars.
Vanguard House is a 3,300 sq m facility, providing office and laboratory space in units between 94 and 231 sq m. This would be suitable for companies of 10-50 employees. It provides a logical stepping stone for companies outgrowing The Innovation Centre.
Techspace One is a 4,300 sq m building consisting of Grade A office space along with wet and dry laboratory facilities, each on its own separate floor. It is suitable for mature companies from sectors such as biomedical, material science and clean technology. The ground and first floors of Techspace One provides laboratory units of between 84 sq m and 186 sq m. The first floor laboratories are capable of being fitted out to Class 2 containment. The building will open in Autumn 2016.
Techspace Two is a self-contained Grade A office building providing 930 sq m of space which can be sub-divided. It will provide companies with their own ‘front door’ at Sci-Tech Daresbury. The building will open in Summer 2016.
STEP Lab provides flexible access to a range of cutting-edge scientific equipment, including fully-equipped biological, imaging, materials and physical science laboratories for early-stage businesses. Access is tailored to a company’s needs, from their own laboratories, to daily fees for multi-user labs.
STFC CERN Business Incubation Centre (STFC CERN BIC)
The STFC CERN BIC gives SMEs access to CERN technologies and expertise to create new products and services. The scheme offers incubation space, funding, business and technical support to high-tech companies seeking to accelerate their innovative business concepts.
STFC Campus Technology Hub
The Campus Technology Hub gives technology companies easy access to a range of electronics testing, additive manufacturing and rapid prototyping facilities housed in a 2000 sq m facility.
The Enterprise Zone
The Sci-Tech Daresbury Enterprise Zone status will help accelerate the Campus’s ambitious development plans to grow the site to some 10,000-15,000 people working in science and technology through access to infrastructure funding and provision of business rates relief to companies locating in the Enterprise Zone.
Campus Partnerships and Support
Business Support and Strategic Partnerships
A dedicated team provides business support to Campus companies. This includes identifying relevant expertise to resolve business-critical issues around access to market, money, people and technical facilities. This is achieved through a range of collaborative partnerships including:
- 8 regional universities
- Innovate UK
- UK Trade and Investment
- Gold partnership programme providing easy to access advice from professional service companies
- VC funds and angel networks
- Blue chip companies eg IBM, Unilever
Of the 100+ companies on Campus the four key sectors represented are healthcare, advanced engineering & materials, digital/ICT, and clean technologies. All company details are accessible by visiting www.sci-techdaresbury.com/companies/list/
There are around 30 companies from the digital sector, spanning software development, mobile and web-based technologies. They range from start-ups to international companies such as IBM and Lockheed Martin. Digital companies are supported by the high-speed internet access on site providing 200Mbps connection that can be scaled to 1Gbps.
Companies to watch are Wadaro, and Integritie. Wadaro has quality of signal monitoring technology for the mobile sector which is now being rapidly adopted by the global telcos. Integritie have developed an automated platform for capture, control, communication and compliancy of any digital information.
There are about 30 healthcare companies at Daresbury, including medical device and diagnostic technologies, pharmaceuticals, ingredients and software solutions. Global Biodiagnostics have developed novel detection platform for early diagnosis of TB, supported with funding from the Gates Foundation and Welcome Trust. US-company Synchrogenix provides specialist medical writing expertise into the pharmaceutical sector. The NW Coast Academic Health Sciences Network is located on site supporting companies in bringing new innovations to the NHS.
Advanced Engineering & Materials
The advanced engineering sector is represented by nearly 30 companies. These include internationally-active businesses in high performance computational modelling (ac&e, J2 Aircraft Dynamics and Optis), intelligent monitoring/control systems (Perceptive Engineering, Copadata) and high end instrumentation (Opto, Pamas). The Virtual Engineering Centre managed by the University of Liverpool on-site, works with the likes of BAe Systems, Airbus, Jaguar LandRover and Bentley Motors.
A dozen companies operate in areas such as renewables, nuclear waste and water treatment. Ones to watch are Decision Analysis Services with expertise in nuclear power station management and optimisation and Horan Power Engineering providing specialist engineering consultancy and services in the renewables sector.
Join the Sci-Tech Daresbury network
The Sci-Tech Daresbury network is a rapidly growing membership community offering a host of benefits including access to key contacts and events of over 4000 people.. To join the network visit http://newshub.sci-techdaresbury.com
The Innovation Centre
|Job title:||Business Development Manager|
|Job title:||Business Support Manager|
View larger map »
- Sci-Tech Daresbury launches soft landing programme to boost international appeal
- Minerva Business Angel Network and Sci-Tech Daresbury host pitching event for North West start-ups
- Sci-Tech Daresbury becomes Armed Forces-friendly campus
- Global firm Hosokawa Micron launches state-of-the-art lab facility at Sci-Tech Daresbury
- Kognitiv Spark expands global footprint with UK office at Sci-Tech Daresbury
Vanguard House (Daresbury) - Sci-Tech Daresbury
Vanguard House – a major new 3,300 sq m (36,000 sq ft) facility providing office, laboratory and workshop space in units between 94 sq m-231 sq m (1,000 sq ft-2,450 sq ft. • Managed Campus environment with high quality landscaping and excellent views • Staffed visitor welcome and reception area • Full operational support including security, cleaning and catering • High speed data connectivity • 24/7 secure access and CCTV security surveillance • Ample adjacent parking • Free attendance at dedicated seminars and workshops • Meeting rooms in a variety of sizes with telephone facilities • Restaurants, coffee bars, media services, library, laboratories and gym available on-site. To find out more please visit the website at www.sci-techdaresbury.com or contact Paul Treloar on 01925 607005.
Innovation Centre - SciTech Daresbury
The Innovation Centre – a 2,300 sq m (36,000 sq ft) facility providing office, laboratory and workshop space in units between 13 sq m-140 sq m (135 sq ft-1500 sq ft). It offers: • Managed Campus environment with high quality landscaping and excellent views • Staffed visitor welcome and reception area with incoming call handling if required • Full operational support including security, cleaning and catering • High speed data connectivity • 24/7 secure access and CCTV security surveillance • Ample adjacent parking • Free attendance at dedicated seminars and workshops • Meeting rooms in a variety of sizes with telephone and presentation facilities • Access to seminar and workshop rooms • Restaurants, coffee bars, media services, library, laboratories and gym available on-site. To find out more please visit the website at www.sci-techdaresbury.com or contact Paul Treloar on 01925 607005.
Techspace One - Sci-Tech Daresbury
Techspace One is an office and laboratory building for companies from sectors such as biomedical, materials, process technology and clean technology with appproximately 10–50 staff, and is located in the luxurious landscaped setting of Sci-Tech Daresbury.
Techspace One provides high quality facilities for science and technology companies developing or upscaling their business. The 3-storey multi-let building provides a combination of circa 46,000 sq ft of wet and dry laboratories, together with grade A office accommodation. The three individual uses are separated on a floor-by-floor basis.
Techspace One is situated in the Sci-Tech Daresbury Enterprise Zone and companies locating into the building would be eligible for 5 years’ business rates relief.
The building provides:
- 16 laboratory units ranging in size from 900 to 2,000 sq ft
- 9 offices ranging in size from 900 to 2,400 sq ft
- High speed internet connectivity
- Cat 6 cabling throughout the offices
- Fully managed large spacious entrance lobby area.
- A large, high quality boardroom and meeting rooms
- Two lifts to the front and rear of the building
- 24/7 access
- On site parking
- CCTV to communal areas
- Fully equipped kitchens
- External cycle store
- Disabled access and facilities
- Comfort cooling
Techspace Two - Sci-Tech Daresbury
Techspace Two is an office building for developing and scaling technology companies requiring their “own front door” identity on the internationally-renowned Sci-Tech Daresbury.
Techspace Two is a 2-storey self-contained grade A office building providing circa 10,000 sq ft capable of being split up into 4 individual demises.
Techspace Two is situated in the Sci-Tech Daresbury Enterprise Zone and companies locating into the building would be eligible for 5 years’ business rates relief.
The building provides:
- High speed internet connectivity to the building with a variety of internet packages from shared to dedicated bandwidth
- Cat 6 cabling throughout the building
- Extensive power and data points through perimeter trunking and floor boxes
- Comfort cooling
- Single lift in lobby area
- Toilet and shower facilities on both floors
- Potential for building to be separated into up to 4 individual demises
- On-site parking
- External cycle store
- Disabled access and facilities